DeeLan

Voxelisation Effect

Playing around with 'voxelisation' (don't know if there's a better term for it). Tried a few things but I found this setup to be the best method so far. It reasonably simple, and also produces good geo while still being relatively fast. Suggestions for improvements are welcome :)

2017-12-13 15_58_26-D__voxelisation_scenes_voxelisation_v002.hipnc - Houdini Apprentice Non-Commerci.png

2017-12-13 15_59_05-D__voxelisation_scenes_voxelisation_v002.hipnc - Houdini Apprentice Non-Commerci.png

voxelisation_v002.hipnc

what about just 3 nodes....pointsfromvolume then copytopoints, copying a plain old box ?

That was the method I used to use but I found render times where way higher than I would have liked, half due to having so much geo (6 prims per "voxel") and half due to so much overlapping geo. I did try a few things to clean the geo, which did work (and helped render times) but those processes were so slow the whole thing ended up taking just as long anyway. I only went to the trouble of doing it this way cos I just wanted everything to be faster.

yeah so Clean, with consolidate points and fix overlaps, did that not help at all ?

You can use the VDB Visualize Tree SOP, set Active Voxels to "Solid Boxes" - and then remove all red boxes. Then you get a box per voxel only where you need them.

@Noobini That does fix the geo but it takes so long (or at least did on my laptop) that it almost negates the speed boost in rendering.

@Skybar Thanks for the tip. I'll try that out!