[SOLVED]Enable Write On NTFS Drive Under Ubuntu 17.10?

Atom

I have Houdini up and running on Ubuntu. All my previous work was created on a 1TB drive that was formatted on a Windows 10 system. While I can see files on the drive and Houdini can load my HIP files, I can't actually save anything on the drive.

Does anyone know how to enable write access to a NTFS drive on Ubuntu?

Edited by Atom

Not sure but stackexchange or google is the goto place for Linux questions.  You'll encounter quite a few!

Iirc fat* is the only interchange format available 

Edited by tar

NTFS isn't a Linux native file system. I strongly encourage you to use a Linux native file system. Seriously. Recent versions of Ubuntu come with ntfs-3g by default which will let you read and write NTFS so it's likely a permission issue, not anything related to the fact that it's NTFS. If the permissions are sane then it's likely the NTFS volume is damaged (ntfs-3g will mount as read only if serious errors are found). More reasons why you shouldn't use NTFS on Linux...

• ntfs-3g is implemented with FUSE which is user space framework instead of kernel space so it's stupid slow compared to native file systems
  • Linux has no comprehensive NTFS check utility so errors go unnoticed and can compound
  • Some applications use extended attributes which can't be stored in foreign file systems like NTFS

I am currently copying all the files to an external drive and then I will try to format that NTFS drive natively. That is the ext4 format right? Then I'll copy things back.

I notice the Files app does not have a format option. Is that something gparted can do?

Edited by Atom

I have managed to transfer all my files off of this problem drive. I have now created a new partition ext/ext4 but I still can't write anything to this drive.

Do I have to format the drive?

What program do I use to format the drive? gparted does not seem to have a format option.

gparted.jpg