Wiki Back Up

Marc

Hi all

Due to some more unwanted spam/vandalism to the wiki, we're taking it down for a few days while we upgrade to the latest version of mediawiki and get the skins sorted out.

Once it's back up, I will post back here and let you know.

Thanks

odforce chaps

The wiki has been upgraded to the latest version which allows us to put a few limits on how editing gets done.

From now on you will be forced to login in order to edit a page. It shouldn't be too much hassle and it will hopefully save us from the garden variety spam, which is a blessing to us all :)

Cheers

Marc

• 1 month later...

On wiki spam, I did some reading on it and it seems that they don't even care that you remove the spam because it still shows up in the change history. So Google still indexes it and the links on there get higher rankings. So you either have to delete the spam completely including the change history, or have a robots.txt to make sure Google doesn't index old pages.

On wiki spam, I did some reading on it and it seems that they don't even care that you remove the spam because it still shows up in the change history. So Google still indexes it and the links on there get higher rankings. So you either have to delete the spam completely including the change history, or have a robots.txt to make sure Google doesn't index old pages.

23162[/snapback]

Oh, thats a bummer. It seems like the spammers do just log in and spam up the place anyway. Marc, is there a way to make only validated logins able to modify/add wiki pages?