Ice growth effects

duongduy92

Hi guys, I am back with some ice issues again :((. Basically I would like to replicate this: https://youtu.be/QVijodeE_b0?t=84 (1m24 to 1m27). I got the hip from Ben Watt and modified it a bit, in the attribute vop inside the solver sop I plug in some noise to drive the growth effect and It turns out as I desired. But I am stuck in creating the ice spikes, like in the reference. Could somebody take a look in the hip file attached above, and provide me some hint please? Thank you very much.

bwd_qt01_LM.hip

He has a very clean new setup for houdini 16, easier and faster, you should give a try.

File aside, i would just model/sculpt the ice spikes and apply the same system starting the grow from the bottom of the spikes, and make the growing system to go faster, so u will have two systems, one for the wall itself and one for the spikes, just time them properly and here u go.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, macj89 said:

He has a very clean new setup for houdini 16, easier and faster, you should give a try.

File aside, i would just model/sculpt the ice spikes and apply the same system starting the grow from the bottom of the spikes, and make the growing system to go faster, so u will have two systems, one for the wall itself and one for the spikes, just time them properly and here u go.

1 hour ago, macj89 said:

Just took ben watts clean file and did some fast geo for testing.

Play with Solver_Controls  max distance and max points for speed control, or just go inside and tweak the vex.

Hope it helps.

bwd_H16_editedIceSpikes.hiplc

yeah I have that new set up too. But I'm only at day 2 Joy of Vex, so it is difficult for me to customize the look. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give it a try. Cheers!