Houdini Modeling Drama

Fyastarta

Hi! First post here. Am transitioning from C4D to Houdini and I figured its easier for me to start with modeling. The challenge am facing right now is with the transform tool. It works great in primitive mode but in edge and point, it does not align with world position at all. As such, using the edit node has become a pita! Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Never mind...just found it. Right clicking and selecting a new mode does the trick! Should have my first model done in Houdini asap! Praying SESI throws in surprise modeling tools for H17! A little destructive modeling never hurt nobody!

• 3 weeks later...

I see you went back to C4D for your modeling needs. As a generalist, am burdened by having to learn two pieces of software. Am always dropping one in favor of the other then coming right back. I cannot make a decision and its maddening! I have dug into Houdini long enough to get comfortable but have C4D knowledge I can't just abandon...its crazy! Sorry for the rant, not sure if anyone else feels the same.

On 4/15/2018 at 5:01 PM, bobc4d said:

I just came to Houdini from C4D. I believe if you hit the M key it will toggle the alignment of the tool

On 4/15/2018 at 5:01 PM, bobc4d said:

I just came to Houdini from C4D. I believe if you hit the M key it will toggle the alignment of the tool

Yes, Fyastrata, I was having a hard time wrapping my head around some aspects of hard surface modeling in Houdini, what would take me 10 minutes in Houdini takes 2 in C4D. Houdini VFX, especially particles, blows C4D out of the water it much quicker and easier to get results, for that I will stay with Houdini but for hardsurface modeling I am returning to C4D.

• Like 1

By assigning hot keys you can increase modeling speed, am coming from modo and i just want to do everything in houdini. Extruding,beveling and adding loops are common in hardsurface modeling so i just put some hot keys. (Ctrl + space)extrude, (shift + space)bevel,(ctrl + shift + space)bridge,(F1)add loop and(F2)loop slice.these help me to keep my modeling speed same as in modo.when you get used to them you can be fast in houdini.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, seifdune said:

By assigning hot keys you can increase modeling speed, am coming from modo and i just want to do everything in houdini. Extruding,beveling and adding loops are common in hardsurface modeling so i just put some hot keys. (Ctrl + space)extrude, (shift + space)bevel,(ctrl + shift + space)bridge,(F1)add loop and(F2)loop slice.these help me to keep my modeling speed same as in modo.when you get used to them you can be fast in houdini.

Hey Seif, I thought of doing it but never went through with it maybe because I wanted to get used to Houdini as is. When I model I use the modeling layout and activate radial menu...fast as hotkeys especially on a Wacom. Would love to see your Houdini progress stuff!