Is There Something Like Bodypaint3d For Houdini

Dr. Gore

What is a good way to paint textures on 3D objects in Houdini?

22375[/snapback]

Not in Houdini, but you can use Body paint 3D with Houdini. Houdini exports OBJs and Bodypaint can import them. The caveat is that Houdini, last I checked, can only export a single set of UVs at a time within an OBJ. So, if you have multiple UV sets yo will need to change layers and export different OBJs with the different UV sets. It's a minor inconvienence really.

There is also a company called IFX, who makes a product called Amazon Paint. It works with Houdini directly (not within Houdini but it has some sort of plugin to aid moving data back and forth between Houdini and Amazon Paint), though I'm not sure how well the comapny supports it. It linux only I think, and quite expensive. The nice thing about Amazon Paint though is that it is extremely simple, supports floating point textures and works directly with Renderman.

Not in Houdini, but you can use Body paint 3D with Houdini. Houdini exports OBJs and Bodypaint can import them. The caveat is that Houdini, last I checked, can only export a single set of UVs at a time within an OBJ. So, if you have multiple UV sets yo will need to change layers and export different OBJs with the different UV sets. It's a minor inconvienence really.

There is also a company called IFX, who makes a product called Amazon Paint. It works with Houdini directly (not within Houdini but it has some sort of plugin to aid moving data back and forth between Houdini and Amazon Paint), though I'm not sure how well the comapny supports it. It linux only I think, and quite expensive. The nice thing about Amazon Paint though is that it is extremely simple, supports floating point textures and works directly with Renderman.

22392[/snapback]

Is anydody using Amazon Paint at the moment?

Any critic about this app.

I have tested it one year ago, it looks great but was very instable in our linux boxes.

And seems that IFX don't give many info about the product :(

I've tried it on Irix, stability seemed fine, no crashes or weird behavior at all (although I only used it briefly, and didn't try 3d painting). IMO, the program feels very dated, for example, only has one undo. :blink:

I'm not even sure if ifx are actively developing it to be honest. Doesn't look like it to me. Can anyone correct me?

I've tried it on Irix, stability seemed fine, no crashes or weird behavior at all (although I only used it briefly, and didn't try 3d painting). IMO, the program feels very dated, for example, only has one undo. :blink:

I'm not even sure if ifx are actively developing it to be honest. Doesn't look like it to me. Can anyone correct me?

22423[/snapback]

IFX is announcing only Piranha, which contains Amazon for video painting, but nothing about Amazon itself.

I tried the 3D painting in a demo version one year ago and i have to say that the quality is great, bettern than body paint and deep Paint, but i'm agree with you the app seems to be dated, the undo, the layer manager etc ...

I think that the app have market, in many studios have two computers per user only for Photoshop, but i guess that IFX doesn

• 3 weeks later...