Render Question

i am new to houdini..

ok so when i turn off the micro-polygon render my shaders don't render.

and i am using some deflaut VEX shaders.,

and also.. is there a way to pre cook moving geometry to make it render faster?

thanks in advanced!

-Brandon

i am new to houdini..

ok so when i turn off the micro-polygon render my shaders don't render.

and i am using some deflaut VEX shaders.,

and also.. is there a way to pre cook  moving geometry to make it render faster?

thanks in advanced!

-Brandon

24129[/snapback]

Hello,

I just played with the scene using couple of generic VEX surface shader that came with Houdini and turned on the "turn off micro-polygon render". Everything seems to be rendering for me just fine... Perhaps you have not set the render flag (purple) in the shader sop to tell it to render that object?

If you are using Apprentice, I am afraid you won't be able to use Geometry ROP to bake out a sequence of geometry. Otherwise, you can use a File SOP to read in that sequence of geometry from disk after you've baked them out. you'd do something like this in the File SOP's field: /home/alex/myGeometry.$F.bgeo

Does this help?

Alex

Are you rendering a sequence of images? Is your geometry deforming? Even with default shaders, there could be many factors surrounding rendering speed. Some tips could be found in:

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/MantraOptimizations

The Lighting Tutorial here talks a bit about Interactive Photorealistic Rendering (IPR) which will speed up doing tweaks on a single image much faster:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...d=14&Itemid=132

Is there a .hipnc file you can post?

Are you rendering a sequence of images? Is your geometry deforming? Even with default shaders, there could be many factors surrounding rendering speed. Some tips could be found in:

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/MantraOptimizations

The Lighting Tutorial here talks a bit about Interactive Photorealistic Rendering (IPR) which will speed up doing tweaks on a single image much faster:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...d=14&Itemid=132

Is there a .hipnc file you can post?

24136[/snapback]

If you are using Apprentice, I am afraid you won't be able to use Geometry ROP to bake out a sequence of geometry.

24132[/snapback]

The closest you can get this is to use a Cache SOP which will help speed up this if you're rendering from your local machine. It won't help any if you're rendering inidividual frames on a render-farm.

Guest xionmark
If you are using Apprentice, I am afraid you won't be able to use Geometry ROP to bake out a sequence of geometry. Otherwise, you can use a File SOP to read in that sequence of geometry from disk after you've baked them out. you'd do something like this in the File SOP's field: /home/alex/myGeometry.$F.bgeo

24132[/snapback]

Remember, even though the GEO ROP isn't available in the apprentice edition, one can still use the good ol' UNIX SOP to write out sequences of geo.

--Mark

Remember, even though the GEO ROP isn't available in the apprentice edition, one can still use the good ol' UNIX SOP to write out sequences of geo.

--Mark

24149[/snapback]

i restarted my computer and that seem to fix the micro-polygon render problem, other than that i am just trying to speed things up render wise.

ok i am doing the infamous pinbox. and yes i am doing a series of images..

IMPORTANT: to switch to to the higher res version, go the variables and switch to 1 for high res and 0 for low res.

here is the file.

FILE

-Brandon

• 1 year later...
Hello,

I just played with the scene using couple of generic VEX surface shader that came with Houdini and turned on the "turn off micro-polygon render". Everything seems to be rendering for me just fine... Perhaps you have not set the render flag (purple) in the shader sop to tell it to render that object?

Does this help?

Alex

Hello,

Using Houdini 8.1.845 non-commercial, and it's possible to use Geo ROP to write out geo files...

Is that not supposed to do that?

thanks,

bern