Why Would They Make The Graincop Do This

thekenny

Can someone tell me why I would want this as a solution to mimic film grain?

bottom left size 20

top left size 10

top right size 5

bottom right size 1

they are all square.

umm. film grain isn't square.

the solution we have is to use the noiseCOP with the plate and a brightCOP with the plate being pushed into a blendCOP. From that we can get the size variation needed and to match the plate (stu rocks! )

just thought I would let everyone know.

-k

post-188-1142884481_thumb.jpg

Can someone tell me why I would want this as a solution to mimic film grain?

25789[/snapback]

well, you wouldn't... Halo is not a fully featured compositor (yet). Quite sutable for CG purposes (many great tools in deepraster area) & still poor for dealing with life action footage. This is not a filmstock grain.

cheers,

SYmek

To be honest, I'd be very happy if SESI would acknowledge what Halo is and promote it as such (and more aggressively).

I really don't think Halo would become a full featured compositor for feature film compositing, really competing with Shake, Nuke, Fusion. The fact is, I don't expect it to be. It's very clear to me that SESI doesn't have the resources to compete with software houses which are dedicated full time to the compositing software bussines.

However, I consider Halo to be the BEST rendering postprocessing software available, because of its architecture, of VEX and the included OPs. I think it would be far more useful to develop further this side of it, instead of losing years trying to develop a useful tracker or keyer, and letting other software catching up in the deep raster area.

After all, Halo is the compositng module of a 3D software. It's seems obvious to me that it should be more concerned with processing of the output of Houdini than with general compositing tasks. In a tipical workflow the shots will go to a compositing station anyway and that station will run dedicated and established compositing software.

Dragos

Really my post was a dig. Honest.

If the operator is 'in' the package people are going to 'try' to use it.

You don't have to be working on a feature film to work with film. Try a 16mm film shot for a commerical and having to do it straight at D1. It can happen. I tried to use it until Stu showed me what was wrong with it. So we adapted, modified and got the shot done.

If they put an operator in the package and they call it something, don't you think it should work a certain way? That's what we thought of the grainCOP. I wouldn't have posted, or used it, if it was call the noisy pixel COP. (waiting for something to be thrown at me next SESI visit) :)

It may seem I'm being hard on SESI. If I am, it is with all the best intentions. They have a great package which allows you to do SO much, but at times it fails. Sometimes it is good to be a bit hard on someone (something) when you know it/they have the potential to be something greater.

You know what I mean? Sometimes the first steps are small, but they set you off in the right direction.

-k

Just re-read my post and I realized that it could be very well interpreted as a reply to the starting post of the thread (as it should have been). And in that way it can be offensive, or at least agressive. I apologize about that.

As a matter of fact, my post is totally off-topic. I just read the on-going posts and simply stated some of my feelings about Halo. :coffee1:

thekenny, you are totally right. Everything should work as advertised, and this is sometimes a problem in Houdini.

Dragos

Mates! You are so kind and gantle for your self and others! :) Like in heaven...

Seriously, try Photoshop "film grain", Combustion "grain", AFX "grain" etc etc etc. You're right that things should behave like they should :), But there are very little things in Houdini which don't do what they promise. On that field H. is the master and SESI is fanatic! Take old Shake benchmark scene with ship on a desert under the rising moon and try to reproduce it in above softwares. 5-12 times slower rendering or hang-out with memory overflow. No such problem in Halo. This is something! Or take realize 2 of Combustion with unusable different keyer (which can be recreated in Vex in minutes). Why all of them still remain compositing software? Because there are number of different field: compositors for TV job, for film production, for commerials, for motion design and purely for assistence to 3d artist. Of course limits inbetween are fuzzy, but what sense to expect from AFX bash support for better integration with Linux/Irix workstation..? (Still Afx is much more universal tool then Halo).

cheers,

SYmek

Just curious, what are the technical specs of this benchmark that you mention? Is it available on the web?

25939[/snapback]

it used to be on Nothing Real webside. I still got it somewhere, but not sure if I can put it somewhere online. I can send personally, if you want.

It's 2K simple animation based on still images, nicely postprocesed, everything is separeted: ship, its aplha, shadow, sand, moon, cloulds, sky. Damn good school how from nothing (a few pictures) do something real (nothing real...).