Compound paths from Illustrator

Isleofgough

I am trying to recreate a few old projects in Houdini. One has a fairly simple logo which was created from a Illustrator version 8 file (nothing complicated but compound paths from changing text to shapes):

When I bring in the illustrator file to Houdini, instead of using compound paths, it reverses the normal of the inside section, so it brings in things like this:

HoudiniAIimport.thumb.jpg.51527f43bfd71e6fb502ad7502c4fdf5.jpg

I can get around it by creating a boole (see image) but is there something I am doing wrong on import?

Thanks for the example, but I don't think that will work. If I did what you did and create a group of polygons where I want to reverse the normal, it will then extrude the outer part as well as inner part the same direction but not do a cutout (which is what a compound path is supposed to do). I would still need to set it up roughly the way I originally did and create some blast nodes and a boole to subtract the inner part of the compound path.

Indian_Health_Service_Logo.ai.zip

IHSlogo.hiplc

Edited by Isleofgough

much better solution than I came up with. I didn't know the node "hole". Thanks!

I was curious about why you needed to add a resample node, though. The hole node worked for all but one letter and the resample node was required to fix it (a "D"). Why was that necessary?

Edited by Isleofgough

no idea...just that Houdini fonts (hole) are perplexingly dodgy in this day and age...don't believe me ?

01) Font, leave on default Lato Bold

02) change text to B, that's it...just a capital B....

you'd think in this day and age...with all the might of Houdini........the hole in the capital B would be correctly processed ? yes there are millions of fixes/workarounds...but it's just a hole in the letter B...it should 'just work' in the first place...no excuses...