Beginner Houdini User looking to work for free in return of mentoring

Dear All

I am new to Houdini and learning as much as I can at the moment. I have the time for a while to develop my understanding and looking for people to collaborate with. I am willing to work for free on projects in return I would be mentored and taught becoming better with Houdini.

So Please let me know if anyone is interested. I have a good workstation and have some time to work and learn. 

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

What you're describing is an unpaid internship. This is sometimes frowned upon but not always. See the document below, it's a good reference for determining whether or not an internship should be paid.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm

It depends a lot on how skilled the intern is. If they're highly skilled then an unpaid internship is inappropriate. If they're not very skilled then an unpaid internship might be appropriate. Too often in this industry highly skilled students and recent graduates work unpaid internships when they really should be paid for the work they're doing (this is bad for the intern and it sets a bad precedent for everyone following them).

I guess it also depends on how much time the people will invest in your mentoring, generally though don't expect too much on that front..
So some monetary compensation is almost always in order. Unless you like to participate in non-profit projects, though those will also be hard to find.
Especially ones that already have Houdini-Pros on their team.

Being new in Houdini may limit your choice in people willing to take you up on your offer as well, but I imagine you must have some skills/knowledge in some other areas too,
so I would certainly also use those to advertise yourself.