L-system Growth?

From looking at the houdini UI sections, it looks like he's essentially taking those chunks of crystals he shows at the beginning and unfolding them kinda like a sectioned robot arm unrolling. Looks like it's just a bunch of those all interpenetrating together happening at once. I don't think it's more complicated than that, but I could be wrong.

Edited by smbell

• 3 months later...

somewhere at the end of the video here https://vimeo.com/267864544

He says that it's pretty much like an unfolding joint like structure of primitives - with rotate and scale offset on which he is instancing what it seems like a gazillion cubes that follow the scale and rotation of the parent.

Or we can just grab a copy of 3D world magazine.

Cheers

Edited by theBlues

I tried to figure it out before he put explanation video out,

my method was a bit different, I just made a one short line and animated bending / unfolding, imagine that as a hero part, then I put that into a for loop, timeshift each new copy, and copy it on itself on the last point. for the result you get unlimited(number of for loop interations) unfolding animation...
from there you can do whatever, scatter points or whatever to make instances, duplicate the thing, its all about that hero part.
dont know if its usable like simons stuff, but you can unfolding that way also.

HUGE fan of Simon but wish he would do an ACTUAL tutorial. Keeping fingers crossed but not holding breath. As he states in the 3Dworld piece its just a "window into his problem solving methodology", not an actual tutorial.

Edited by art3mis