create pod exhaust wash

tushar v1

Hi, guys 

I am trying to recereate this

please consider the timeframe 00:46 to 00:57

image.thumb.png.f8b61dd6924cce966d8f0a2ca1c49f33.png

what you can see is that when pod is falling on the ocean surface...... it launches the thruster to slow down the its speed. when i`m trying to create the same thing in houdini, the problem what i`m facing is that my pyro smoke is going upwards instead of going downwards...i have tried everything by killing the temperature, reversing buoyancy and velocity, but nothing is working, i`m attaching the R&D file with it, but please don`t consider it as an final version. A little help would be appreciated

pod_landing_exhaust_test.hip

In sphere_object1, you should check your collision source. Since you are deleting the faces at the bottom and leaving a hole, the VDB is not being created correctly. You can bypass the file cache sop and check it out. This will help keep your fluid from pushing through the top. Also, try giving your fluid source a little bump of velocity in -Y 

edit:

I also think you would benefit from splitting this into two separate sims - one for the downward thrusters with fast velocity and a lot of dissipation, and another for the wash on the ground. @eetu has a fantastic wash example on his site.

Edited by jamesr