Flip particles multiplying on their own

Hayden

Hi Guys!

So i'm trying to do this simple flip sim where i have an emitter inside a teacup and i just want to fill up the cup. It's is definitely water tight, the only particles leaving the cup are over the top, but as you can see from my flipbook the particles just start multiplying on their own when they land in the saucer, which is causing them to go everywhere. It is worth mentioning as well that the particles are only set to emit between frames 0 - 24 so i'm not sure why they're multiplying.

Any suggestions as to how to stop this would be really appreciated! 

Password: hc

Edited by Hayden

2 minutes ago, Atom said:

It looks to me like the pressure is so high it is forcing particles through the boundary. More substeps might help.

What technique are you using to raise the fluid level?

Hi Atom, thanks for the reply! So i am just using a sphere inside the teacup static geo to emit particles from and it is set to just emit from frame 0 - 24 then stop for the fluid to settle. 

I tried upping the substeps to 4 and reducing the rate that the particles emit so its less immediate but the same thing is still happening, after the particles stop emitting they continue to multiply and expand the sim. Any other suggestions as to what could be causing it?

Hi, wouldn’t it be a problem linked with reseeding ? Maybe turn it off ?

Create new particles in voxels where the particle count has dropped too low to properly represent the fluid surface, and delete particles in voxels that have become too crowded. Reseeding can help avoid collapsing pockets of air forming in the fluid near collisions, as well as provide a smoother surface from which to generate a polygonal mesh.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/10/2018 at 4:01 PM, ejr32123 said:

I always have weird stuff happening when I sim that small, especially with flip. Have you tried simming but at much larger scale?

I tried up scaling the sim but i got a lot of feedback saying it looked to big and it looked more like an ocean in a teacup, i think sidefx have really improved the quality of small scale sims in houdini 17 so i'm going to try it that i think.

4 minutes ago, Hayden said:

I tried up scaling the sim but i got a lot of feedback saying it looked to big and it looked more like an ocean in a teacup, i think sidefx have really improved the quality of small scale sims in houdini 17 so i'm going to try it that i think.

There are scaling features in the solver to compensate. Also, I usually turn up gravity to avoid it looking like an ocean. Good luck