Collada Anyone?

Yeah, this is a good question... :)

I was wondering if SESI was considering FBX or Collada support for the future or not. Be nice to know whether we should go to the trouble ourselves (collectively) or not. Just a hint?

I've started one. I've been following Collada for a while. It seems like it's the best proposal for a unviersal file format anyone has put foward. There are going to be some significant issues I think when it comes to dealing with Shaders and Dynamics though, because Houdini is so radically different than the other packages available. Rigs might pose some issues as well.

Anyhow, what I am working on is a standalone app that builds CMDs and associated files from Collada files. It's kind of a messy solution, but trying to make a Collada loader work within Houidni would be highly difficult. I haven't put much thought into an exporter, but that may also pose similar issues. I'm thinking if it's stand alone it can be batched, yet I could still provide an interface for it from within Houdini.

I've started one. I've been following Collada for a while.

Interesting:) Is it your own personal project? It would be interesting to open-source development like this. I know that I learn by example and would be interested in seeing if there was a way we could all collaborate on different sections of a reader or writer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...