ForeverMovement

How to offset cache start time onto copied points?

Hello all, 

I've run into a problem that's been making me go in 6 directions and I can't seem to get any of them straight in my head. I have one cache that I want to copy to points that show up over time, I'm basically doing a running explosion like this https://gfycat.com/shinyhardanaconda 

When I copy the packed and cached sim onto the points the cache doesn't play with the offset of the points on the copied caches, so how would I go about offsetting each new sim on the new point. I've created a point attribute that marks the frame that each point gets created but I don't know how to connect that to a time offset or shift that would make it work on each point. Am I even doing this the right way? Anything helps, thanks.

One way to achieve this is by using copy stamping + a timeshift where you use the stamp() function to offset the cache

41 minutes ago, 3dome said:

One way to achieve this is by using copy stamping + a timeshift where you use the stamp() function to offset the cache

But what do I stamp in and am I using the expression correctly? Do I put the timeshift before or after the copy node? 

CopyProperties.PNG

timeshiftProperies.PNG

If your points have the @framestart attrib then this is fine. Timeshift comes before the copy and the stamp expression should be stamp("../copy1", "framestart", 5)

12 minutes ago, 3dome said:

If your points have the @framestart attrib then this is fine. Timeshift comes before the copy and the stamp expression should be stamp("../copy1", "framestart", 5)

Thanks for your help, I guess the problem is on my attribute then. The attribute framestart I have now is just an integer for the frame that the point gets created on, which I don't have right but I don't know how to get the attribute to come up with the right creation frame on each point. 

9 hours ago, ForeverMovement said:

Thanks for your help, I guess the problem is on my attribute then. The attribute framestart I have now is just an integer for the frame that the point gets created on, which I don't have right but I don't know how to get the attribute to come up with the right creation frame on each point. 

where do the points come from? A particle sim? Then they should have a creationtime attrib which multiplied by your FPS gives you the creation frame. If not use a wrangle on the justBorn group to create your startframe attrib.
But if you just want to do something like in the gif, then wht not just create a line and give the points a startframe like i@startframe = @ptnum * 3; so they will start 3 frames apart