Which constraints for wood RBD?

Pancho

What kind of constraints should be used for wood fracturing RBDs? I tried Soft constraints so far to achieve some kind of bend behaviour during impact and use a SOP solver in DOPs to remove constraints above a force, torque or angle threshold.

Is this the way to go?

Or is it possible to mix softbody behaviour with the RBD one? E.g. a branch should bend before breaking. I currently "achieve" this look with a highly fractured RBD and soft constraints, but on the surface you would be able to see that it's actually breaking and the bend is achieved by rotating/moving pieces individually.

BTW, did vellum change the RBD workflow for fractured stuff so far?

Cheers
Tom

Thanks! That's the tutorial which I used so far. Really nice one. wonder when the metal tutorial will appear. Seems to be missing from the five elements series.

Unfortunately it doesn't give an answer to the bend before break problem (which isn't really need in this case).

I replaced my soft constraints with hard constraints so far. Wonder how to take care of the small splinters which tend to be the first parts which break and fly through the air (and how to stop them from endless spinning around on the ground).

That actually what I did before. Use the soft constraints alone. But this my look strange, if the fracturing and impact moved the pieces far apart. Then there remains something like an invisible attachment.

Right now I switch to the "hinge" constraints used in the boat tutorial. I also split the constraints and their strength into different areas/subjects. Inner wood constraints, constraints between the boards and between their ends, etc.

Like with all simulation changes in the fracturing pattern change the whole simulation pretty easily and make all experiments before "obsolete". : )

• 2 years later...

On 11/14/2018 at 11:16 PM, Pancho said:

That actually what I did before. Use the soft constraints alone. But this my look strange, if the fracturing and impact moved the pieces far apart. Then there remains something like an invisible attachment.

Right now I switch to the "hinge" constraints used in the boat tutorial. I also split the constraints and their strength into different areas/subjects. Inner wood constraints, constraints between the boards and between their ends, etc.

Like with all simulation changes in the fracturing pattern change the whole simulation pretty easily and make all experiments before "obsolete". : )

Hi Illusionsit, working on a very similar approach not without issues : ), did you manage to get a good workflow ? perhaps something you could share about the whole process? much appreciated

I meant Hi Pancho ! : )

Edited by JonasJr