Retime Fluid Mesh

zinogino

Hey wizards,

So I'm pretty stoked on the new retime sop but I'm having trouble getting it to work on meshes.

In the attached image, flipSim_cache is 90frames and in the retime sop I'm trying to extend the length to 175frames.

Problem is, I'm able to slow the animation down but it always end at frame 90 without finishing the original animation.

If I turn the interpolation on, my mesh is all messed up.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

retime.png

Hi Zinogino, 

What you are trying to do will never work. The fluid mesh is an arbitrary mesh and the point numbers will be in different and in different places every frame, as far as Houdini is concerned it might as well be completely different shapes so there is nothing to interpolate. That is why you have to transfer velocity from points as well.

If you want to retime the simulation you will have to do it before you mesh the fluid.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zinogino said:

Hey there zybrand,

Thanks for pointing out the error on my setup.

However, I'm still experiencing weird issues when trying to retime after the compression cache as if interpolation is checked, it still glitches and it goes away if it's unchecked.

Check this good video.

In short,i think solution is:Disable Reseed Particles in Fluid Solver->Retime-> Mesh fluid will be helpful.

Edited by Iskander
  • Like 1

Alright, don't wanna create an extra thread but would appreciate if anyone could point out my error in meshing my fluid sim.

My settings:
Particle separation 0.0035
Particle radius 1.2
Grid scale 2
Min Substep 1
Max Substep 8

Reseeding off
Swirly Kernel

In my particle fluid sourcing, I've played with filtering etc and it's still showing such stepping.
Stepping goes away if I decrease my particle separation to ex: 0.015
Happy to share a strip down scene file.

houdini_2018-11-19_17-22-24.png