Baking Normal Distance to Zero Thickness

Tooloohoohoo

Hi!  Can anyone point me in the right direction for how to determine on air-tight geometry the distance it would take to push each point inward along the normal (like the Peak nodes does, if you give it negative numbers) until it hits the other side, getting pushed in at the same rate?

Right now if you use the Peak node with negative numbers of increasing magnitude on a mesh that has parts of variable thickness, the thinner parts will eventually start turning inside-out. What I want is for them to stop right before that happens and stay at a thickness of zero, so they squeeze down to invisibility, while the thicker parts of the mesh continue to push inward.

Specifically what I need is a value that is that distance, which I can transfer over to vertex colors, because this is for a game asset where the actual squeeze along the normal direction will take place in the game engine, not in Houdini, and I need a value to clamp the push distance for, on a per-vertex basis.

Thanks!

I think its not so easy to do, since you'd have to find the mean surface first. Then project your mesh onto that which might not yield any hits along the normal. I tried hacking something together, maybe it helps you out a bit. Its far from perfect but might be a starting point.

I'd really love to see how a pro would approach this.

displace.hipnc

Edited by nuki