Cone Twist constraint Angle not working

misterbil

Hi,

At this point I need a new pair of eyes on this one and maybe a new brain.

I have a simple test scene with a rbd ball smashing a wall, the wall is holding together with ConeTwist constraint. I then use the good old sop solver to 'removeprim' the constraints when the angle is larger than X.

I can see the Angle attribute in the spreadsheet and all, but for whatever reason (I know it's a very simple one), the constraint bend but don't break!

If someone as a few minutes to spare and take a look it would be much appreciated. 

Sorry if I sound sarcastic but I'm getting frustrated by my own stupidity! :)

coneTwist.gif

coneTwist_test.hipnc

Sorry if I am being a bit off topic here but can your test produce results similar to what can be seen in the thread below. I know I can just switch the constraints to hard to keep the shape but I can't seem to find any clarification on dynamic constraints apart from this thread which is still a bit blurry to my understanding. 

13 hours ago, misterbil said:

Fixed!

I could swear that prior to H17 I didn't HAVE to set a 'breakAngle' and I could just use the 'angle attribute ?!?!

anyway, I just added a few attributes to make sure and it started to work.

here is the scene for anyone that might find it interesting.

coneTwist_test_fixed.hipnc

Hi, your scene from first post works good. Decrease value of angle in condition into sopsolver. Maximum value of primitive attribute @angle of twist constraints during the simulation is 1.23... It just your condition do not work while a breaking angle set as 1.5

@char the thread you shared has a lot of example in it. Which example are you trying to replicate? Most of them seems to use multiple constraint network. I'll suggest to start with single constraint them add on after that. 

Start with glue constraint and what can you use to make them break (hint: impact or use 'removeprim' like in my example). I need to set up an other sim with multiple network later today so I might post an example here (don't hold your breath :) )

@vicvvsh thanks for checking it out. I knew it was something stupid like that. I was watching the angle in the spreadsheet but I must have misread my numbers.

here is an update: (still want to work on the bendiness, bend first than break)

coneTwist_fixed.gif.a8fee691f2bf858677b808cb1d6107fd.gif

For kicks I tried the same system with a metaball force but still use the angle to removeprim. works pretty well I think

coneConstraint.thumb.gif.6e76c595c0475c3ca0e0e9ac95cb1fc2.gif 

• Like 1

So mostly I was trying to wrap my head around how people move constraints around, or should I say pivots (video in the top of the thread on 0:40sec). I understand and already tested a sim where you have an object breaking and after passing certain threshold it changes to a hard constraint so you somehow get a metal bending effect. I don't understand how the logic works behind the example in the video (top of the thread on 0:40 sec), where the cubes are hitting the object and it's slowly going to a bend, breaking chunks away slowly, but not fully breaking. I have a bit of an idea how it is working but not fully. There is a lot of talk about dynamically moving each constraint into a new position after the hit but obviously trying to crack that bit of realism in simulations has been quite a trouble for me.