WIP: Replicating Cubes - Instanced Animations and Bullet

MildlyRedBeard

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to share a little person project I'm working on. Nothing too special but its got some neat ideas in it. The idea is to have a bunch of cubes sitting on the ground that will spontaneously "erupt" into a few more cubes. (Now that I think about it its a similar idea to the multiplying treasure in Harry Potter).

I've got a crude but effective setup going. I think its got the basics in place and it seems to be somewhat stable.

replicate_anim_v001.thumb.gif.50911188867fbf09d33badd4963907f9.gif

I didn't like how bland the actual "eruption" was looking so I've been working on a way to add some flair to it. At the moment I've got a simple hand-made animation done using two transform nodes. I then take each of the cubes, transform them into a specific place and orientation, run them through the transform nodes with a delay to get the animation, then transform them back to the original position. The transformation is mostly done through VEX. Transforming the pack prims in the right way turned out to be much more involved than I expected but now that its all actually done its not too difficult.

instance_anim_v001.thumb.gif.ee580a9b638620e8e21f901273d2006d.gif

The above animation is not integrated with the bullet sim. Its just a proof of concept to make sure that I can actually instance an animation to the cubes while taking into account their various orientations.

The next step is to get the hand-made animation working within the DOPs sim, which I don't actually think will be as bad as I initially thought. Though time shall tell.

The scene is a mess at the moment so I'll clean it up and post it along with some more detailed notes at a later date for those that are interested :)

• Like 1