New Entagma Video: Volume Rasterize Attributes Node

Mark01

Hi Everyone,

Entagma have just released a new video to create Color Dust Explosion which is really great! (so far)

They are using a Volume Rasterize Attributes node which is new in Houdini 17. Has anyone done this tutorial or have any idea if there is a 16.5 way of doing it?

Knowing SideFX, they probably merged multiple nodes into this node for simplicity maybe but i just cant work it out.

Thanks All,

Check the video out if you haven't already: http://www.entagma.com/production-setup-walkthrough-color-dust-explosion

Edited by MilesS1
  • Like 1

The rasterize points/particles is was I thought of but neither node allows us to input a 'coverage attribute' and both also require two inputs (Base Volume & points/particles to rasterize), whereas the 17.0 version only has one input?

Haven't used H17 yet and I dont particularly know what that coverage means, but yeah it uses Rasterize Particles internally: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/sop/volumerasterizeattributes.html

Rasterize Particles needs a base volume as you say, so just put down a VDB SOP in the first input and particles in the second. This is probably what Rasterize Attributes does internally too, just neatly packed up. If you are curious why not download the apprentice of H17 and take a look inside it :)

I actually don't know what coverage is either, it was just in 17.0 :)

What do you mean my a VDB SOP?

I currently have particles from a popnet. do you mean to convert that to VDB's and plug that into the first input of a rasterize particles?

Thanks for your reply :)