Unlock the handles

You are right, they do seem greyed out (see screenshot). However, I can not RMB on them. Any suggestion how to unlock them again?

BTW, thanks fro the quick reaction. I was told the Houdini community was a very cooperative group of people and it seems they were right....!

Piet

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 15.12.50.png

I tried both suggestions, but no luck so far. I attach the full Handles Preferences section; I do not see what causes the handles to be greyed out in the Geometry settings of the model.

Maybe I should reinstall the app completely and try again. Or ask the guys from SideFX directly, they seem quite responsive too.

Piet

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 16.19.55.png

Miles, would you be able to help me out with another important topic I'm dealing with? I placed the following post in the forum, but so far had no replies:

"I am considering buying a new iMac for my Houdini usage. The graphic card in there is a Radeon Pro 580 with 8 GB VRAM, which is not on the formal Houdini support list. The people from Houdini were so kind to let me know that some users experience small annoyances in the UI with this card. I would like to learn if someone recognises that comment and has experience with the latest iMac models and Houdini."

I promise you I am not going to spam you now with all my questions, just because you were so friendly to answer my previous post....!

Piet

Yes, I'd suggest putting a post in the SideFX forum too. I'm sure there's a simple solution.

And about your other topic,

To be honest, I don't know too much about the all the graphics cards and components etc required for Houdini. Personally, I would always go for the Mac option over windows. Linux is good but harder to install softwares.

The only downside, I see, to having a mac is whether it actually has enough power. Try looking into a 2008 Mac Pro, it would be a lot cheaper and its modular so the internal components can be swaped out. So you'll have a little extra work, but I expect you could get a machine that's a lot better and less pricey.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, I am currently running it on a MacPro from 2009, but the power is really insufficient. And the graphic card is fully outdated. Unfortunately, none of the Houdini supported cards can run as external card for this (old) model. So I do need the new iMac, which runs at 3 times the clockspeed and has ample other specifications to support heavy programs like Houdini.

In the mean time, I reinstalled Houdini. It appears that in a new Project all works fine. But as soon as I reload the rhino-model, the same problem with the handles returns. That shows it has something to do with the file's specific settings, not with the overall application settings. So never mind, I will continue with the tutorial exercise (that's what it is, so no big deal) and try to prevent the same problem from happening in next exercises.

If someone else feels they can help, that would be great. Otherwise, I will not take more of your time. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Piet

Can you not replace the HD for SSD's and the RAM and grpahics cards in the '09 Mac Pro?

With your model,

try bringing that file into a new scene and slowly add all the same nodes and see which node causes the handle issue - when doing it, create the nodes again not copy and pasting.

I did replace the HD with SSD's some time ago. Makes a huge difference, but not to the clock speed. And as said, there seems to be no compatible graphic card for this model that secures full Houdini support. Anyway, after 10 years the old machine is up for replacement; it does not go higher than OSX Sierra also.

Yes, your suggestion makes a lot of sense. At least I then know where it goes wrong and learn from that. The Houdini learning curve dictates going through a lot of trial-and-error efforts, but I do love the software. I only wish I was 2 years down the road at a more intermediate level...;-)

Thanks, but that did not help either. But I found out something new. The model of the rhino is extremely small compared to the backdrop grid that I created. Zooming out and then selecting the backdrop DOES reveal the handles. However, if I select the rhino, they are not visible. Something about the rhino-settings seems to block the handles, but I can not figure out how to override that. See images.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 09.33.22.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 09.32.55.png

You're brilliant; I did manage to get the handles visible again by moving pivots into the origin. However, I still do not understand why RMB on the icons does not reveal the underlying options of each handle. But I will start a brand new project and keep an eye on what happens.

Thanks everybody (Miles!) for all the input and help.