Vellum sim collision offset problem

jkarian

Hi there,

I have a vellum simmed torus thats producing balls that stick to its surface.

I have a second vellum solver thats making the balls interact with the torus' surface and create dents.

It all seems to work fine except that there is a significant offset between the balls surface and the torus surface. 

Any ideas why?  Thanks in advance for your help.

image.thumb.png.9abaa229335fa2452ed880a02d20a71d.png

dentedBooleanVellum3.hipnc

• jkarian changed the title to Vellum sim collision offset problem
  • 10 months later...

I never like testing some theory using a complicated setup. So here's my very basic collision test. It looks pretty accurate to me. even at sim substep of 1

So obviously, your setup introduced other variables into the equation, trying to control a dozen different levers and setttings at the same time is a nightmare.

is all that vdb neccessary ? or pressure or pin to target ? or multi vellum solvers ? my guess is it's a combo effect of the pressure and 'soft' pin to target...and not inaccuracy of collision as my simple test shows.

VellumCollision.jpg

vu_VellumTestThickness.hiplc

Edited by Noobini

i butchered your scene to a more simple version....looks like the growing balls are the problems, if I totally ignore your pointvop (pscale) and use static balls, they collide quite accurately.

VellumCollision2.jpg

Edited by Noobini

this version is with growing balls

it's something to do with the copy Point Attributes, if i disable it, it works pretty good here. As said, I don't like debugging complicated file so here's my butchered version if you want to compare.

EDIT: def something dodgy with your pointvop pscale. You can have copy point attributes but add ^pscale in to exclude copying pscale, it will work.

VellumCollision3.jpg

dentedBooleanVellum_simple.hipnc

Edited by Noobini
  • Like 1