about entry level jobs

roberttt

Hi guys, i just want to take your advice for entry level vfx jobs. i have just graduated and I want to be FX artist but as you know it is very difficult without experience for first job. i got an offer for render wrangler which is entry level but i don't know anything about it. Is it difficult job?long hours, duty etc.?

If you want to be an FX artist you should look only for the FX artist positions. Otherwise, you just lose time working in other roles and it would not make much difference in getting the desired position in future cos you will not get relevant experience. And relevant experience usually called "fit" it is a thing number one which recruiter (or robot) looks for in your resume.

• Like 1

On 2019-02-13 at 4:15 PM, kiryha said:

If you want to be an FX artist you should look only for the FX artist positions. Otherwise, you just lose time working in other roles and it would not make much difference in getting the desired position in future cos you will not get relevant experience. And relevant experience usually called "fit" it is a thing number one which recruiter (or robot) looks for in your resume.

Thanks kiryha

Sorry I just dont agree. It can newer be wrong to take a job in the industri while looking for the perfect fit. If I got two exactly equal candidates but one has spent time as render wrangler and been introduced to deadlines, I know who I would pick.

Lose time? You got something better to do?

On 2/17/2019 at 2:09 PM, mawi said:

You got something better to do?

You can do your personal project to put something in a reel, for example.

Sure, there is no one correct answer for the raised question and a lot will depend on particular cases. I just made a concussion based on my personal experience working on "industry" positions. If you keen to be FX artist you might consider to start from lighter, pipeline dev, rigger etc. That's more or less close (you need to realize that you may be stuck with this position for years, it very often happens in such cases). But Render Wrangler is almost the same industry position as a receptionist. It's not totally useless only in short term time frame. If you think strategically and build your resume carefully getting such experience will not bring a lot of value. 

And a lot depends on the country, of course.  In the USA, if a company looking for a lighter for the feature film about mammals animals they will consider artist with a lot of shots with mammals animals in the reel and reject if you have tons of perfect lighten reptiles (while in other places you may be hired if you can turn on the computer).

Once again, this is only my personal painful experience of working on the same-same-but-different roles. And I 'm pretty sure I was totally wrong taking those jobs that's why I am sharing it with such confidence. In addition, I have tons of friends in the industry and analyzing their desitions and results prove my concept.

Edited by kiryha