Assign global variables with python

Spike

Hi

i want to assign a global variable as path for a rop node with python - but the thing is that python translates $F to the current frame, and every other parameter...

node_rop.parm('sopoutput').set("$JOB/render/$HIPNAME.$F.bgeo.sc") gets translatet to /Users/xxxx/Project/render/path.12.bgeo.sc in the rop network

so how can i assign a $F to a textinput field with python

thank you for help!

1 hour ago, Spike said:

gets translatet to /Users/xxxx/Project/render/path.12.bgeo.sc

Do you mean translated in UI? Cos it's wired. It could be translated when getting this parameter with node.parm('name').eval() , so you need to use node.parm('name').rawValue() instead.

1 hour ago, kiryha said:

Do you mean translated in UI? Cos it's wired. It could be translated when getting this parameter with node.parm('name').eval() , so you need to use node.parm('name').rawValue() instead.

so node.parm('$F').rawValue() ? - looks strange cause its no parm of node - yes i mean in the UI of the rop

22 hours ago, kiryha said:

Can you post the file with code in Python Source editor reproducing the issue?

In node.parm('$F').rawValue(), parm('...') should contain string parameter name, which you take value from.

still cant figure out the solution

pythonRop.hiplc

Edited by Spike

Ah, Python node... I don't know why it happened and I don't have a solution for this case.
From the other side, this code is working and you will get correct images in your ROP. And why are you doing it with Python node when you can do the same in ROP directly?

• 6 months later...

You can use a global variable in other functions by declaring it as global in each function that assigns to it.  Python assumes that any name that is assigned to, anywhere within a function, is local to that function unless explicitly told otherwise. If it is only reading from a name, and the name doesn't exist locally, it will try to look up the name in any containing scopes (e.g. the module's global scope).