Fatal error: Segmentation fault

ban

Hello, please help me. I can't get running Houdini 17.0.352 on my laptop (windows 8.1.) After install it was working properly, but after restart, everytime I'll do an object and turn on smooth shaded it will crash immediately (wireframe works).
I've tried everything I could:
- googling solutions
- update all drivers
- reinstall houdini
- try to install windows 10 (wasn't possible because of my laptop)

crash report:
Qt Warn: Warning: QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO is deprecated. Instead use: 
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR to enable platform plugin controlled per-screen factors. 
QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS to set per-screen factors. 
QT_SCALE_FACTOR to set the application global scale factor.
4008: Fatal error: Segmentation fault
Saving application data to CUsers/KUBAN_~1/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/crash.untitled.kuban_000_4008.hiplc

14b6b1e626b66dceb78c4045abfa75da.gif

Edited by ban

2 hours ago, davpe said:

if it wasn't possible to install windows 10 bcs of your laptop (i understand for performance reasons), i wouldn't really expect it to be able to run houdini in any reliable way :/  

Well every houdini until now worked properly. Even this one worked after fresh install. But stopped after reboot or reopen Houdini.

13 hours ago, LaidlawFX said:

Make sure you rename your default preferences, and let it rebuild them on startup. It is possible a file in there got corrupted and you'll see the same behavior on multiple installs now.

Unifortunately doesn't work :(

Sounds like you need a new computer, or you should not update your Houdini version on that computer anymore. There are a lot of threads about the specs for Houdini Machine's on the forum so you can see what they are rolling. Otherwise just check out the minimum requirements for the software. Though unless you are just playing at home. I would go a bit above the min specs in most categories, otherwise that computer will just be outdated. If you like gaming, then you can use a gaming laptop for your work machine too.