Vellum - cloth on fast moving objects

Whatsinaname

Did anybody have any success with vellum cloth on fast moving objects? 

I'm doing cloth on a character, who is free falling. It's done by an animator and speed-wise, it might be slightly overdone, but there's no way to change that.

Simulating cloth on the character using Maya nCloth, I got proper results, but it was still nCloth and therefore slow and painful. 

I recreated the setup using vellum, but no matter how much I increase substeps, everything is exploding right away. It is working fine with a localised version, but I was wondering if there is a special trick or anything worth considering when using Vellum with fast moving objects?

(Unfortunately, I cannot post the scene file)

would it be possible to neutralize the transform of your char , in order to stick it at the center of the world , then work on a static char by using forces for wind, you could also take a certain percentage of the animation like 10% or 20%, to inject this in your sims for better result.

then you reset to the correct transform with the baked anim of your cloth, and see if the tricks works ? 

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Whatsinaname said:

(Unfortunately, I cannot post the scene file)

any broken example file will do

by not posting anything you are expecting people to build their own example to see whether they will even run into your issue and then try to fix that, essentially your chances for getting a solution without broken setup are much lower

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Could anyone explain step by step methods, Node graphs etc, How I can perform local simulation and bring my fast-moving character and its environment to the local position in Houdini? I'll try to upload a crude example file if anyone required it.