Commercial Fishing Net

Three65

First off I am fairly new to Houdini and have been watching a lot of "beginner tutorials" trying to familiarize myself with the workflow and UI of Houdini. This will be one of my first project that is on my own and not a follow along tutorial. What I am trying to create is a commercial fishing net that I can simulate in Houdini to use as a prop in a render I am work on. I have been doing a lot of looking online at thread and wire tutorials to try and wrap my head around how to approach solving this project. A lot of the tutorials I have found seem to be down in older versions of Houdini and I really feel like this could be done pretty easy with Vellum in the new Houdini. I have listed below my thought process on creating this asset and my workflow how I see it being done. I would appreciate any help on working through this, since I believe this is the best way to learn new software. I would say its a 50/50 battle with any software 50% being knowledge of UI and how it works together and 50% thought process and workflow to use those tools successfully.

1. Start with a regular Grid

2. Turn to points and find number of points in grid

3. Connect points with lines (Unsure how to create knots or links between grids in mesh)

4. Attach Geometry to lines (Add subdivide here for good simulation)

5. Pin points I want to stay static to simulate for the effect I am looking for (Unsolved)

Any insight into my thought process here would be great, including things maybe I have not thought about. Any tutorials or info about something like this would be great. I am not afraid to do the leg work and learn this. Sample files would also be great since I could study how someone else would tackle this problem so I can study the workflow and see the thought process behind doing something like this.

Fishing Net_.jpg

• 1 year later...