when can I use the point deform and attribute interpolate?

• 4 months later...
On 6/4/2019 at 7:06 AM, ttlhaha219 said:

hi~

sometimes, I've been using the point deform node. 

but recently I know that attribute interpolate node.

I wonder how it differs of two nodes.

and when I should use differently.

thanks!

I`m curious about the same thing. as I usually use pointdeform, but in assets usually attribute interpolate is used, like in guidedeform node.

PointDeformSOP captures deforming geometry by proximity, i.e. point on a geometry to be deformed (1 input) 'looks for' the N closest points in rest geometry (2nd input) , then computes deformation comparing rest points' position and orientation to deformed state (3rd input). This deformation is kind of a linear interpolation of control lattice displacement.

AttributeInterpolateSOP relies on an explicite mapping of source and target elements. Points being deformed (1st input) are told (by specific attribute) which primitive or point in target geometry they map to. In case of a primitive, they ask for an attribute value in a given prim uv spot. In case of a points, they list explicitly given points and ask for attribute value (multiplied by weight). 

If you know the mapping, AttributeInterpolateSOP will behave nicer, but mapping might be tricky. PointDeformSOP is forgiving in that respect, but it's harder to control specially in cases different part of a mesh are close in space, but shouldn't influence each other.  

• Like 1

Another difference is that attribinterpolate gives you the actual interpolated value in your usecase P so it's great for sticking points directly to the surface

While pointdeform will keep the relative offset from the capturing point's reference frame as well as it will transform transformable attributes like N or orient 

In other words attribinterpolate is lower level node just for interpolating attribute values using one of several methods while pointdeform is more specialized node that acts as a simple cage deformer

• Like 1