Any ideas on how to get a cratered moon-like surface?

I'm trying to achieve a moon surface with craters that can overlap at least semi correctly and have crater inside crater action. It's going to be eroded and processed after, so it doesn't' have to be totally perfect.

I've tried a for- loop with height field layer, but I can't get them to replace each other and overlap correctly, I've also tried a for-loop with feedback with attribute transfer and a vops ramp, but same deal, I can't get them to layer correctly. I played with cops for a while, with a loop in there, but it seems like there has to be a solution using geometry. I've spent a couple days on this, so I'm officially looking for some advice.

cratered_terrain_11.hiplc

Screenshot_1.jpg

Edit: I haven't had a chance to try it, but maybe I could flatten the terrain in a step before layering in the new crater so it would always be layered over nothing...

Edited by smbell

1 hour ago, Atom said:

You could use the actual NASA data.

Really cool, I'll have to check that out further. This was more just for me to learn heightfields. 

I just finished a maya project using actual lunar data using  http://imbrium.mit.edu/EXTRAS/SLDEM2015/TILES/JP2/.

Edited by smbell