Plane Smoke Trail

zinogino

Hey guys,

Trying to do a smoke trail simulation similar of a jet stream.

I've attached a sample hip file below of my current setup. My plane is static and the camera is animated.

I've isolated the engines and use it to do a particle simulation where the particles are being blown away with some minor noise and each particle is given a lifespan so it dies and doesn't stay too long.

Originally, the particles are being turned into density and be used in DOP with smoke solver for simulation (add disspate, turbulence and disturbance) to get the look of smoke trail but the results isn't really working and not what I'm looking for.

I then tried to use the particles as density and just piped into cloud noise to randomize the density so it looks okay-ish but my question is it possible to get a fairly decent looking smoke trail with my setup or is my setup direction wrong?

Thanks

Sc01_SmokeTrail_v01.mp4

AirPlane.hip

Edited by zinogino
Upload new files

I went into your scene, but it was pretty messy and not working well. I'd clean things up and re-submit, and I'll check it out again. Lead us to what you want to look at in your scene. I cached out the caches you had, and didn't end up getting anything that made sense. If I were you, I'd set it up in a simple scene, then submit it again.

8 hours ago, Midasssilver said:

I went into your scene, but it was pretty messy and not working well. I'd clean things up and re-submit, and I'll check it out again. Lead us to what you want to look at in your scene. I cached out the caches you had, and didn't end up getting anything that made sense. If I were you, I'd set it up in a simple scene, then submit it again.

Hi, sorry for that. I've re-uploaded a new file with cleaning up.

Thanks

Ok, now that you cleaned up your file and I can see what you were intending to do, I can give you advice. First, definitely go with a dop simulation. The method you ended up choosing for your smoke was simply converting a particle sim to a volume and rendering it. Because that method completely relies on your construction of the particle sim, it will never look really organic, which is why your best option is to source smoke from something like a disc (think chimney smoke), and make that your trail. Then, you need to work on the control field parameters of the turbulence to get the swirls happening to the smoke at the right time. Look at some reference (even pictures will do), to show you the type of shape you are looking for. Videos will tell you the speed of the swirls you want to get. You can get this working in a simple scene, then parent it onto the location of where the jet-stream should be emitted from, so you don't need to worry about a moving source.