Conform one humanoid shape mesh to another

fiddybux

Does anyone know if it is possible in H to conform one humanoid mesh to another?

I'm really looking for a procedural method for aligning dimensions and orientation of a destination mesh with a base reference source mesh.

I don't think I need a morph SOP, because the destination needs to retain some (or perhaps most) of its own identity, but needs to conform the general object space that the source mesh occupies.

Blender offers a sort of shrink wrap function that projects vertices from source to destination, but I'm not convinced this will do what I'm after.

Any ideas on this from the community?

Just a point in a general direction would be a good help. I'm quite new to H, so I know there is a steep hill ahead and I've got my hiking boots on!

Thanks.

Are you talking of something like R3DS Wrap / ZWarap plugin of ZBrush ?

https://www.russian3dscanner.com/

I guess Houdini does not offer something like that out of the box (not that I know of). You can nevertheless project a mesh on another based on normals, or maybe using UV matching if both your meshes have similar UV... but not similar features as Wrap where you can feed the algorithm with a few targets points to guid the wrapping.

Edited by StepbyStepVFX

I wasn't hopeful, because I had a good dig around. Ideally, I'd like to be able to define a few key points, and then have the mesh project as closely as possible whilst still retaining some of the original volume.

I'll look into link you provided. Might lead somewhere. Thank you for that.

EDIT::

Yup, that link looks like exactly the thing.

Shame it doesn't exist in H. I can't justify buying more software, but I'll certainly test it out with their trial.

Edited by fiddybux
More information

3 hours ago, fiddybux said:

Shame it doesn't exist in H. I can't justify buying more software, but I'll certainly test it out with their trial.

Gael Kerchenbaum, a 3d artist sculpting animals, has showed us how to use it production, and he told us it is a time saver once you know how to use it.

There are workflows also shown on TexturingXYZ on how to use it.

https://texturing.xyz/pages/killer-workflow-using-xyz-and-zwrap

Edited by StepbyStepVFX
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 22/09/2019 at 4:05 PM, StepbyStepVFX said:

Gael Kerchenbaum, a 3d artist sculpting animals, has showed us how to use it production, and he told us it is a time saver once you know how to use it.

There are workflows also shown on TexturingXYZ on how to use it.

https://texturing.xyz/pages/killer-workflow-using-xyz-and-zwrap

Was possible before Now it's easier :)