Keyframe and RBD simulated object issue

foy

Hey all,

I am fairly new to Houdini and have a scene with a problem I cant wrap my head around.

FracturedColumn.hip

I have a fractured cylinder that starts off keyframe animated ending up activated in a RBD simulation around frame 40. The problem I am having is the simulation is ignoring that the object was animated, and the simulation is happening sideways with none of the velocity provided by the animation. While it looks quite interesting, it is not what I am looking for.  Any insight as to what it is I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

First of all, as a general advice, I highly suggest staying away from any transformations on the object level (=> on the geo node itself)
It is not wrong to do stuff there, but you can save yourself a lot of headache and have piece of mind (not having to keep track of object vs world space etc) by doing transformations in a transform SOP on geometry level.

Second, I'm not sure if there is a more beginner friendly way of doing that, but I'm using a wrangle to override the active (= being simulated) and animated attribute. And of course enable the corresponding checkbox on the rbd packed object.

dm_FracturedColumn_v001.hip

14 hours ago, foy said:

Hey all,

I am fairly new to Houdini and have a scene with a problem I cant wrap my head around.

FracturedColumn.hip

I have a fractured cylinder that starts off keyframe animated ending up activated in a RBD simulation around frame 40. The problem I am having is the simulation is ignoring that the object was animated, and the simulation is happening sideways with none of the velocity provided by the animation. While it looks quite interesting, it is not what I am looking for.  Any insight as to what it is I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Hi,

you can achieve a transition from animated to active state of pieces by attributes. https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/dop/rbdpackedobject.html

FracturedColumn_01.hipnc

Dominik and Victor,

I understand what each of you did, so thank you both! I should have no trouble repeating what you both suggested for all sorts of things.

Dominik, thanks for the advice of keeping animation inside the network, I will consider that for future simulations.

Victor, thank you for the extra step of hooking up the group. That was going to be the next thing I was about to look into.

Mike