Creating Shader custom AOV in Houdini not working ?

I want to create my own custom image planes (AOV) in Houdini; I'm binding out the layer using a bind export to the surface context then I'm connecting that to a Set Layer export, giving it the same name as from the bind export then connecting the layer to another vop which accepts a layer connection.  Although when I render I get a; Invalid declaration type for variable & the AOV doesn't show ?

11 minutes ago, nuki said:

did you set the type in the bind export correctly? There is a setting to inherit it from the input value.

If your referring to the setting Use Input Value If Not Bound, since I'm plugging the Parameter bound into the other input of the Set Layer Export; there is no need for use the Use Input Value If Not Bound setting.

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

All you should really have to do is bind export from the shader.

Render this bad boy out and let me know if that's what you're after.

aovs.hip

Not quite, when using setLayerExport in materials you can write out branches to an AOV\extra image plane; what you've done is use an attribute noise sop and create an attribute from the noise, two different things. :)

You asked how to create your own AOV, which is what's demonstrated in the demo scene. I use some arbitrary noise to write out to their own image planes. Did you hit render and look at the extra image planes?

You don't need set/get layer export to write out aovs.

6 hours ago, jamesr said:

You asked how to create your own AOV, which is what's demonstrated in the demo scene. I use some arbitrary noise to write out to their own image planes. Did you hit render and look at the extra image planes?

You don't need set/get layer export to write out aovs.

Watch this until 33:00; I've created a bind_export vop within materials and hooked up a colorMap to the bind_export then I've tried both a SetLayerExport and a GetLayerExport. Although in the video only a setLayerExport is shown, but in Houdini 17 only a getLayerExport has the same functionality as the setLayerExport had in Houdini 16 in either case it doesn't work ?  

Also unless someone knows otherwise, you can't write BSDF's to an AOV\Extra Image Plane, they can only be Vector3 ?