Floating animated character on Flip

osmanertasdiken

Hi I'm currently working on a scene where a tiny lizards jumps and starts walking on the water,

Reference: https://youtu.be/M6UsKJUmq2A?t=102 (1:42)

The Lizard is about 2cm so the scale is really small.

I also came across to Johnny Farmfield's setup for collision ripples(https://vimeo.com/301863777) but I'm not so sure whether or not something like this would work better with Flip sim.

Any suggestions approaching this sort of effect?

Edited by osmanertasdiken

Flip kind of falls short on small scale simulations and ripple effects, especially things that need sheeting. Its better to work with geometry for this sort of thing OR use realflow if you have access to it. 

On a side note, Rhythm & Hues has a 2D ripple solver. It took a colored input as the source of the ripple, could take animated sources and incorporate obstacles as well using a similar color mapping method. It was the most useful little tool for all sorts of things. I haven't seen one since and every time I try to google something similar I can't so much as find an algorithm to work from. If anyone has something similar or can point me in the direction of an image based ripple solver I would really appreciate it!

Edited by Feather

On 14/10/2019 at 2:33 PM, osmanertasdiken said:

Hi I'm currently working on a scene where a tiny lizards jumps and starts walking on the water,

Reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6UsKJUmq2A&t=62s (1:42)

The Lizard is about 2cm so the scale is really small.

I also came across to Johnny Farmfield's setup for collision ripples(https://vimeo.com/301863777) but I'm not so sure whether or not something like this would work better with Flip sim.

Any suggestions approaching this sort of effect?

Indeed, FLIP works best for mid/large scale sims.

I think a ripple solver, plus some custom particle system can do the trick.

Just in case you would need some ref for a ripple solver, Entagma did a series of videos 2 years ago :

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2019 at 5:42 AM, StepbyStepVFX said:

Indeed, FLIP works best for mid/large scale sims.

I think a ripple solver, plus some custom particle system can do the trick.

Just in case you would need some ref for a ripple solver, Entagma did a series of videos 2 years ago :

Of course Entagma got it :) I completely missed this one. So far I was using geometry noise based on Impact points but this way seems much better, I will definitely change my current set-up to ripple solver :D 

Thank a lot!

On 18/10/2019 at 11:27 AM, HowardM said:

You could try faking it all with a high res grid and vellum, depending on your shot.  Are you more interested in the way the lizard floats and slightly deforms the water?  Or more a realistic splash and ripples?

I'm trying to replicate this reference video as realistic as possible, I think vellum and ripple solver combined together should do the job. I'll give it a try thank you :)

This is the tool that I've been working on before I saw your comments;

This version I was using the geometry noise, but just tested it out with ripple solver definitely gives it more natural look so I will transfer to that.

At the moment my main issue is figuring out how to bend only the front side of the water around my object like this;

geckoSim.thumb.jpg.f2d7e25efb5f6eddb14636d614fa3ada.jpg

Currently I'm transferring P attribute on to the grid and it's not really bending like that, any suggestions?