Explosion timing methods?

char

Hi all,

Going to get straight to my point here. I've been trying to wrap my head around a proper workflow for achieving good timings  explosion and smoke simulations. Let's say in this example explosion , the look and the timings are great. My ideas are either having proper advection methods, using animated divergence, injecting high velocities for first few frames and then using drag to slow it down or (last idea I had today) using Time Warp node, to retime the whole explosion caches to your preferred look. 

Could someone experienced enough drop a few lines around what the approach of an FX artist is whilst tackling a explosion in a shot for a film or just in general. Am I going down the right path with these methods or is it completely off?

Thanks

• Like 1

I'm aware of that problem, countering it with masking and disturbance fields would probably help I assume. Is the video you provided really the only "efficient" method (I've seen it before) of actually getting that initial punch and then letting it slowly drift with drag?