Scenes Desktop

Hey this might sound lame.. but.. is there a way to make houdini DOESNT save (or load) the desktop/Gui settings from the scene?... for example.. I've got "dark" viewport setting as my own default with many other settings.. but really often I lead a scene it gets the "light" colored viewport cause of scene... I know this sounds stupid but.. this affects also all the collapsed/expanded viewport side toolbars... and everything else (but not everything.. which sounds odd to me).

cheers.

You set it in the Main Preferences -> Desktops and Toolbars. Turn "Save Desktops Automatically" off and that should be what you want.

Cheers!

steven

Actually the desktop are not overwritten... the "problem" (cmon.. i wont call it a problem :)).. is that when I open someone's else scene.. I got his desktop setting instead of mine.. that's it...

but I'll give it a try anyway ... :) thanks.

cheers

oh cool ... thanks for your advices :)

I guess both are ok for me... since I usually fire up houdini .. and then load the scene...

cheers

EDIT1:

p.s. oh wait .. no.. seems first on doesnt realy fix this.. since its ok for first time you fire up Houdini ... but then when you open a scene file.. it loads the desktop the scene was using when the file was saved... and that's what i'm trying to have.. bypass the deskloading when opening a scene...

now lemme try the startup script way...

EDIT2:

hey jason .. is it possibile I dont have the 456.cmd script? :| cause apparently I cant find it... (H8.1.865)

Most viewers in Houdini save their state in the hip. For example, the COP viewer will save the plane and component you're viewing, the display items toggled, resolution scaing, etc. The 3D viewport does the same (though I'm not 100% sure which items it saves to the hip, but the viewport layout, camera or orientation & display items seem to be a few).

Anyways, you can add the view commands to your 456.cmd by opening Houdini, configuring the viewer the way you want it, then saving the file. Then do:

hexpand untitled.hip

which creates untitled.hip.dir with all the internal files laid out in a directory structure. The one you want to look at is "untitled.hip.dir/.application".

You will see a ton of "view..." commands. You can copy as many of those into your 456.cmd file as you want. They configure:

viewerstow - the stowbars around the viewer (open/closed)

vieweroption - some misc options, ie, default renderer

viewlayout - the layout of the viewports (1, 2 or 4 in various orientations)

these are per-viewport:

viewtype - the type of each viewport (persp, top, front, right)

viewname - name of the viewport

viewdisplay - set various display options (points, point #s, uvs, etc)

Ones you probably don't want:

viewbackground - the bg image settings

viewtransform - the camera transform

viewcamera - the camera to view through

viewothrogrid - the ortho view settings

viewuvgrid - the view settings for the UV viewport

Anyways, that should override any viewport settings in the file (for the Build desktop, at least). If you want to affect all 3D views in all Desktops, switch to each 3D desk before saving, and copy the commands for those desks (Build.pane1.world, Animate.pane3.world, etc).