Starfish Wip

zoki

hi

thanks overload!

two weeks ago I did some test renders for displacement in mantra

and since then all I think of is displacement related tasks

it is soooooo fast and no artefacts

reminds me of renderman and it is for sure on that level!

I usually did it in maya with mental ray but this is to me way more user friendly.

Inside Houdini is displacement shader that supports up to 16 layers blending :blink:

check it out its amazing speed/quality

Zoran

yea I dont like the way maya works with displacements...always seemed very sloppy to me (and lots of artifacts). So this is probably a dumb question, but did you UV map the starfish or is it all procedural? I guess mapped since your using layer blending. And yea houdini is very fast with displacements IMO which is great :). I'm looking forward to seeing it rigged up. cheers :)

Anthony

I dont really think it jerks to much, but I would say not to deform as much at the very top (but then again I am far from a starfish expert :P). I havn't had the time to play with rigging anything in H just yet... But I'll be following your progress to see how it turns out :). Good luck with it, look great so far.

Anthony

yes overload , i agree about mayas displ.

This one is unwraped because I did initial map in zbrush

here is a test rig setup

halfway through it jerks

what would be the best kin for this I have IK now

is there something for spline in H?

regards

Z

That rig looks OK, but it looks like you have most of the controllers hidden, so it's hard to tell what you've built -- the ones for the "arms" of the starfish, you're using IK for that? I'm assuming just one continuous IK chain for each starfish "arm"? Seems fine to me, but it all depends what kind of movement you're trying to give this starfish, what kind of actions you want it to perform.

There's spline IK stuff in Houdini, sure, they call it the "Follow Curve" solver. What you could do is build a path using the "PathCV" objects: In the viewport, TAB-->Generators-->Path and start drawing a curve for one of your starfish arms, and Houdini will create the spline curve and the PathCV objects which you can use as controllers for your Spline IK. The nice part is that those PathCV objects will also let you twist the chain, seems pretty good.

hth,

-JS-

Hi

rig is finnished I did it with follow curve and is nice and smooth!

I have one controler for picking up the body and tentacles follow

and all tentaclec can be animated separately also

now I am seting up little scene for it

here is a sneak peak

ub.jpg

ua.jpg

• 1 year later...