Don't know what to say!

Stremik

I didn't loose any files. Just the 3.5 GB of space.

I also do use Partition Magic and it doesn't find that space ither.

On the plus side, Partition Magic was able to retreve those 8MB <_< of space which are being used during installation of Windows. You know.

That unpartitioned space which is allways there after installing Windows.

Stremik I don't think there's anything wrong with your drive. I think it goes the following way:

The 80 GB apprearing in the disk label means 80,000 millions of bytes.

But that's not 80,000 Megabytes in the way computers count Megabytes and Kilobytes...

(8 * 10^10 bytes) * (1Kb/1024byte) * (1Mb/1024kb) = 76293.9453125 Mb

That's roughly 76300 Megabytes.

At least that's how I understand it. A similar thing happened with CD-R discs that announced 680 MB capacity, that's 680 million bytes, roughly 650Mbytes.

btw, does anyone know why a "billion" is different quantity depending on the country? I know in USA it's 10^9 but here in Spain it's 10^12.

It's funny how sometimes this brings a lot of confusion. In several american nature TV programs, when dubbing into spanish, they seem not to realize the difference. In the end you hear things like the earth is 4 billion years old, thats older than the Big Bang and our universe itself!

• 2 weeks later...
btw, does anyone know why a "billion" is different quantity depending on the country? I know in USA it's 10^9  but here in Spain it's 10^12.

It's funny how sometimes this brings a lot of confusion. In several american nature TV programs, when dubbing into spanish, they seem not to realize the difference.  In the end you hear things like the earth is 4 billion years old, thats older than the Big Bang and our universe itself!

Hi!

More confusion from Germany. In our country one billion has 12 zeros, like in spain. For example five-billions = 5.000.000.000.000.

> In Russia Billion is 10^9 and is called Milliard. And 10^12 is a Trillion.

In Germany:

10^6 is a Million

10^9 is a Milliarde

10^12 is a Billion

10^15 is a Trillion.

I did the mistake a few years ago - I had an english press-release about a company - in the end in my story the company have make a a Billion bucks, but it was only a Milliarde (10^9) - big trouble :(

LEO