Creating an elliptical orbit with varying velocities

bentway23

What I'm looking for is an object to follow an elliptical curve, accelerating near the perigee and decelerating near the apogee. Theoretically I could wrestle with magnet forces and do a sim for this, but I feel that (1) that'd be unnecessarily complicated, and (2) that this is going to be a collider for another sim, and that might muck it up.

I've tried follow path and using primuv, but I have not been able to find a way to accelerate and decelerate them as they follow the curve.

I've tried something, attached, that is MOSTLY working. I get velocities from the tangent normals of the orbit curve, and a velocity multiplier based on the min and max x positions along the curve, so at the perigee the velocity multiplier is 1 (or whatever), and at the apogee it's 0.1. Using a solver SOP, each frame I transfer the curvevel attribute to the ball orbiting object at its current location, and then use @P += @curvevel. This actually works for the most part, except the orbiting object keeps going further and further out, creating a spiral orbit. Furthermore, even though I have a wrangle setting its initial position to be at point 0 of the path curve, starts farther away.(Also, I will need to figure out a way to orient it so it's always looking forward, but that will be easy enough, methinks.)

I assume I'm missing something obvious within the solver SOP. This might be easy and dumb, so thanks for any help. (Also, if there's just a way better way to do this, I'm open to suggestions!)

orbit_setup.hiplc

Edited by bentway23
Made subject more precise

Probably you want something like keplers second law.

The speed is something like the length of the cross product of the Direction from ellipse point to a focus point and the Derivative (of the ellipse function). 

I've recently posted some examples using an inverted distribution function, which was defined by a density. 

Here is a modification of it.

kepler.hipnc

Edited by Aizatulin
  • Like 1