Registrations

edward

With the recent slashdot article, Will Solve Captcha for Money?, it got me thinking about how spambots are still getting through on odforce.

So anyhow, maybe we should have a question in the login registration that asks, "What is your favourite SOP?" Only valid answers are allowed to register. :)

and in summer when the bot is asked, whats ur favourite sop, it replys -- the slop sop

:)

Great idea. The only downside I can see is that I'm going to have to type in a list of valid answers to compare against.... :o .

Maybe we should do pops since it's a shorter list ;)

But then again, what if the person registering doesn't know houdini yet? Perhaps they're coming here to learn and haven't even downloaded it yet? Could happen I suppose, and we don't want to make too much of a barrier to entry.

M

Doesn't matter anyway since it seems like it's almost an impossibility to do easily.

I'll just keep monitoring the new registrations and delete the obvious spammers. If it gets out of control then we'll come up with another plan.

M

Has there been lots of obvious spammer registrations? Others (from the slashdot article) have suggested changing the registration urls, fields, etc. so that the spam bots don't recognize them.

BTW, one wouldn't need to type in a list because it's easily obtained via other sources. ;)

There's probably about 2-3/day that are obvious spammers. I just look up their name in google and see where else they've registered at, and the spammers are pretty apparent.

As for the other stuff, well it's definitely doable but it requires modifying the board a little (custom registration field that gets checked against a list of valid answers is one way). But the real problem there is that any upgrades become a total nightmare for the forum.

There have been other techniques bandied about to stop this, but almost all of them make it either a lot more pain for the user, or a lot more work for the admins. Neither of which I'm too excited about.

I'll keep looking around for a solution, but until something elegant comes along then I'll just keep slogging away at catching these idiots.

M

Marc, you do an amazing job with the site, and I am sure everyone appreciates it so much :). i only ever see a few weird spam posts a month..but then again I am not the admin :). so what ever you are doing seems to be working IMO. thanks again for maintaining the site, endless great information on here B)