Watching Demo Reel

Rafal123

Hi,

I finish my demo but got some problems with dvd. It plays perfect on all computer dvd players I tested but it's not played on some "stand alone" dvd players connected directly to TV. And it's of course "region free".

So my question is: what hardware is use to watch demo reels? This question is for people who watch demo reels in companies. Do you use TVs or computer dvds connected to projectors or is that company dependend?

I just recently spoke to our recruiting people and they're pretty insistant on NTSC, dvd player (not computer) format.

Mainly because they have to go through so many reels that it's better to keep them all in the same format.

Cheers

Marc

Make sure you set the option for DVD-player stand-alone. Dont know at the moment about DVD-architect 3 - but I'm sure there is some option! If not - build an image and burn it in Nero 6 or higher as a DVD-Video-disc! This is possible in the demo of Nero.

Hi,

I finish my demo but got some problems with dvd. It plays perfect on all computer dvd players I tested but it's not played on some "stand alone" dvd players connected directly to TV. And it's of course "region free".

So my question is: what hardware is use to watch demo reels? This question is for people who watch demo reels in companies. Do you use TVs or computer dvds connected to projectors or is that company dependend?

I've had the same problems... I've found the media you use to burn you demo can be a major factor as well... my mac laptop doesn't play DVD+R, and I used to have a component DVD player that would only play DVD+R and not DVD-R! Madness. As the other guys have said, I think most places will throw your disc in a normal consumer electronics dvd player hooked up to a TV in a meeting room or in an office, and maybe you'll get some people that might put it in their laptop... but defnitely use NTSC format, and I recommend having either really really simple menus or no menu system at all, try and keep it so simple that a monkey or even a recruiter could play your reel.

-JS-

LEO-oo-: thanks for that info, I must check that

exel: I use DVD+R... is this good idea to prepare one pack contains two dvds: dvd-r and dvd+r? Or is that just will look funny? I got no menus in reel, just video and silent music.

Nah, don't get crazy with your double-pack DVD plan, your scheme will only confuse and frighten the masses, you'll be accused of witchery and black magic and before you know it someone will be throwing holy water on you or trying to light you on fire. Believe me, I've been there and it is not cool.

Maybe just go with dvd-r, I think that's generally a safe bet these days. If you really want to cover your bases, there are sites that keep lists of consumer DVD players and which DVD media they'll play, it'll help give you a good idea of which formats are the most compatible:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

http://www.dvdmadeeasy.com/subscriber/comp.../media_a_r.html

-JS-

thanks for answers fellows,

but the most strange part of this process is that in the final you get .vob file which is very small -reels are mostly 2-4 minutes- so .vob file takes usually 200mb, and DVD is 4.7gb sooo wasting, and also this .vob is not the same quality as rendered stuff because of encoding,