pyro sim with timescale & retime sop issues

richnosworthy

Hey all,

got a 2d pyro sim at the moment and trying to retime it with the retime sop.  It works great usually by using the volume and advection method within the retime, however my current pyro sim was set to use a time scale on the pyro solver of 0.1 instead of the usual 1.

And now i realise that this seems to cause major glitches in my sim when its retimed.  I can't show because of NDA issues but it gives this pulsing to the motion as it gets slowed down.  This is all done before the cache by the way - so doing the retime straight from the dop io - and then caching after the retime

I assume theres no clever way to fix this other than rebuild my sim with the timescale on the solver set to 1 and try and slow it down another way.  Just a pain as the overall motion was pretty much done and locked, just the retiming is glitchy.

Thanks

7 hours ago, richnosworthy said:

I assume theres no clever way to fix this other than rebuild my sim with the timescale on the solver set to 1 and try and slow it down another way

not sure if clever, but normal way to do it is to correct your v@vel field to pretend it was simmed at timescale 1

so in your case Volume Wrangle before retime should do it:

v@vel *= 0.1;

EDIT: or actually maybe try just changing Input Timestep on Retime SOP to 0.1/$FPS instead of 1/$FPS, havent tested that one though, but if it works, that would be clever

Edited by anim