Sim'd RBD object to stop in exact location?

Neil72

Hi people,

I'm wanting to drop and object as an RBD sim, but have it finish in a specific xyz position and orientation. Basically, I want to drop a bunch of letters and have them form a word. At the moment, they land as I expected they would, but I was wondering if I could 'nudge' them to land in the right place? The realism of the sim isn't too important, but it would be difficult to get the feeling of them falling, if I tried to animate the letters by hand from start to finish.

Can I cache the sim and add a value to it, over time, so it ends where I want it to?

Can I run the sim and add to the XYZ co-ords as it's running?

I could, of course, sim it in Maya or 3ds Max... convert it to keyframes... blend in a final rest pose... and import the Alembic, but I wanted to know if I could do the whole thing in Houdini before reverting to a method I actually know?

Thanks  

Capture01.PNG

Capture02.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 03/04/2020 at 4:35 AM, Noobini said:

assemble.gif

I can't believe I've just got around to seeing this. I can't remember being notified of any replies. Sorry about that! I know it's waaaaaaaaaay past the time that you replied, but I don't suppose you'd be willing to share that one line of code, please? I never did get it the way I wanted. I ended up animating them from point A > B and and ramped up/down a noise attribute to give it some randomness, in the middle section.

Cheers. (I'll turn on 'notify me of replies', this time :-D )

On 4/26/2020 at 1:15 AM, godbodybiscotti said:

Hey I am running into a similar situation do you mind sharing the method of approach you did to achieve that awesome result noobini? Any insight would be appreciated

8 hours ago, Neil72 said:

I can't believe I've just got around to seeing this. I can't remember being notified of any replies. Sorry about that! I know it's waaaaaaaaaay past the time that you replied, but I don't suppose you'd be willing to share that one line of code, please? I never did get it the way I wanted. I ended up animating them from point A > B and and ramped up/down a noise attribute to give it some randomness, in the middle section.

Cheers. (I'll turn on 'notify me of replies', this time :-D )

let me dig it up and see if it still works for 18.5