What movie genres a VFX artist works that are not fantasy, horror or sci-fi ?

I will learn how to make VFX using Houdini, I will finish the school soon and i'm planning to work on the film industry, I want to know if a VFX artist can choose I what movie genre will work, I hate the genres of the topic with movies like Warcraft, Guardians of Galaxy and so on, I don't like the concepts of those genres. I want to make lightning, water and storms as VFX, I know that those things are common in the genres I want to avoid but please let me know if it is possible to do what I want. 

Edited by John Tasman
  • Haha 1

hah, you are the winner of a funniest odforce post for today :D anyways, dunno like others, but it never happened to me in my 16 years long career that I'd be given a choice what movie do i want to work on - sorry. And honestly, I haven't even seen most of them. I do this work bcs I like the creative process of it. Not necessarily the result. But this personal attitude will most definitely differ person from person.

if you are a freelancer or start our own company you can absolutely choose what type of film you want to work on and what type of effect, there is plenty of vfx work done beyond the genres you mentioned, there are also docummentaries, etc...

the question is whether you will be able to find such work or have offers for the specific narrow scope you decide to specialize in

Yeah, as freelancers, artists can pass on projects that don't inspire them. I do it all the time. There is a cost of course which is lack of work, but thankfully I am pretty diversified so it hasn't been a huge issue for me.

Last year I did a bunch of VFX on an action/combat movie. I suppose that's not sci/fi, horror or fantasy. This year (January, before everything went to crap) I was offered a sci/fi film that I turned down, but not because I don't like sci/fi, but because the money wasn't adequate for what they were asking for.

Lastly, I should mention the advertising industry is always in great need of VFX which are non-genre related. Anything from rendering cars to razors and even talking dogs. If I was adverse to working in a particular genre I would turn my main focus on advertising clients.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Midphase said:

Yeah, as freelancers, artists can pass on projects that don't inspire them. I do it all the time. There is a cost of course which is lack of work, but thankfully I am pretty diversified so it hasn't been a huge issue for me.

Last year I did a bunch of VFX on an action/combat movie. I suppose that's not sci/fi, horror or fantasy. This year (January, before everything went to crap) I was offered a sci/fi film that I turned down, but not because I don't like sci/fi, but because the money wasn't adequate for what they were asking for.

Lastly, I should mention the advertising industry is always in great need of VFX which are non-genre related. Anything from rendering cars to razors and even talking dogs. If I was adverse to working in a particular genre I would turn my main focus on advertising clients.

yes, there is a commercial for Bush's Baked Beans which has a golden retriever which talks. only his mouth is CG and the way it is blended in looks amazing, so very real it is hard to tell from actual dogs mouth.

• Haha 1