Rand Per $id on Guide Process

Hey guys, i have a silly problem that i cant solve.

I am using things like frizz, wave, set direction with the groom tools but i cannot use expressions to randomize the effect per primitive (per hair). I figured i should use something like rand($id);

But nothing works in the parameter box.

What can i put in the Fequence parameter that randomises it per hair?

rand.thumb.jpg.74667e949d3f7e9d08161c5e7518b0ac.jpg

create a prim attrib like `@frizzampscale = rand(@primnum);` before the frizz and then use it where it says `no override` pick the `guide attribute` in the amplitude dropdown.
And just reading your question again, you can do this in any of the dropdowns btw. 

Edited by Sepu

48 minutes ago, Sepu said:

create a prim attrib like `@frizzampscale = rand(@primnum);` before the frizz and then use it where it says `no override` pick the `guide attribute` in the amplitude dropdown.
And just reading your question again, you can do this in any of the dropdowns btw. 

Yea i thought of doing something along the same lines. Didnt work for me.

Created it in the parameter and also did it via a wrangle on the prims. Still didnt work. 

Can you show me a screenshot, because if its working for you im doing something wrong. 

rand2.thumb.jpg.940d6bf7f6a02786cae482450756f6bf.jpg

25 minutes ago, anim said:

doesnt Random Frequency slider work for you?

Yea it just generate a random value on all the hairs. You would think it would generate a random frequencey per hair, that would be great. 

This behaviour also occurs with Amplitude too. The random Amp just randomises it but on all the primitives. 

If you use a mask then all that does is mask the effect leaving other unchanged.

If i could maybe just randomise the seed based on the $id that would be the ideal solution.

Edited by abvfx

Thanks @Sepu im gonna try this right now. :)

edit:// yea so i tried this. I couldn't put it in the amplitude because that will just increase/decrease the effect, i need a random seed on the frequency or just even a random frequency for the prim. When i put it on the Frequency Guide Attr i get random behaviour.

But when i switch it from two to continuous/discrete and other distribution is i get a much more random effect. So this work. 

I was thinking is there a more elegant way to do this. I don't think so. This is exactly what i need.

Perfect 

Cheers

Edited by abvfx

Also it might behaviour as expected but that means i wont be able to get a different seed of the same frequency per id right? Random freq will give me a different 

hmm, weird. Every time i turned the Rand Freq up it did it all as one.

Thinking about it, I have has this happen before with guide mask random tab where it will treat them all as one. 

Cheers for the example Tomas. I'm gonna take a look now. 

Edited by abvfx

• 2 weeks later...

So one thing ive realised that make things look a little "same-y". 

Is the frequency random is fine, but its applied all over. Is there a way to keep the frequency but adjust the seed per primitive? I tried using the @id but it doesnt work.

Clipboard01.jpg.c846cc9d96592df8e8f98d32f595959e.jpg

• 2 months later...