Using point deform

Ginz

Hello,

I'm new to Houdini and this is probably very simple. I have a simple scene file that was made with the Entagma vellum tutorial https://vimeo.com/294374382

How would I use point deform to apply the high-res pig head on to the low-res pig heads with the dopnet continuously emitting the pig heads?

Thanks guys!  

V_test_01.hiplc

• Like 1

Hey Martin,

Just one question.. I noticed that in the DOP Network node - Object Merge tab - Object - you added vellum*. After using your method myself that was the step that made it work. Do you mind letting me know why?

Thanks for your help on this! 

sure - that just changes the name filter for the output objects from * meaning "everything" to "anything starting with vellum". In this case it isolates the pig heads, because they are emitted into vellumobject1, just to get rid of the groundplane. You could achieve the same with a group and a blast or split sop for example.

Edited by nuki
  • Like 1

I think if you use the point deform capture from the QL lib, you could avoid using an expansive loop and run faster

It used an attribute to partition your geo so the capture weights and pts are generated accordingly.

After just use a regular point deform but in deform only.

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env artist & Lighting & MattePainter & Creative Concepts

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

• Like 3

Hey Vincent,

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried installing qLib on Houdini 18.0.460 but I'm getting a lot of errors. Is it just me or is it not compatible with the latest Houdini build?

Thanks

if you used the package method - I had trouble to get houdini to load the package until I set the QLIB variable in the .json file to an absolute path. Maybe its a Windows+OneDrive thing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nuki said:

if you used the package method - I had trouble to get houdini to load the package until I set the QLIB variable in the .json file to an absolute path. Maybe its a Windows+OneDrive thing.

Package method worked! Thanks again Martin :)

On 6/16/2020 at 4:19 PM, vinyvince said:

I think if you use the point deform capture from the QL lib, you could avoid using an expansive loop and run faster

It used an attribute to partition your geo so the capture weights and pts are generated accordingly.

After just use a regular point deform but in deform only.

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env artist & Lighting & MattePainter & Creative Concepts

http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas

Sorry for the newb question but whatever I do, I can't seem to make this work. Can anyone please show me how it's done with the qLib point deform capture? 

Thanks

V_test_01.hiplc

12 minutes ago, Yader said:

Here's a thread with a similar approach, simulating lowres geometry and then deform highres geometry with it:

And here's your file with the point deform capture from qlib.

V_test_01_yader.hiplc

This is great! Thanks so much!

So the rest points dopnet is essentially a duplicate of the main dopnet just to generate rest points?

• 8 months later...

Hi Everyone ! Thanks for this topic.

• @Yader you gave us a super nice approach to use High resolution mesh with a point deform from qlib. Love it !
  • @barrettm96 in this post make an other tricks. With a for each primitive reading a "birthid" to achieve this simulation.
  • @nuki That also the good solution for one source object.

I try to make the same thing but with different input object. I'm struggling. Did someone think it is possible ? I try to mix many technics but I can't go any further.

The object have to spawn one by one.

1. Attribute Wrangle to name each object as : s@name = '$OS' ;
  2. Switch to choose a different object every frame.
  3. For Each Primitive to remesh and add Vellum constraint
  4. Dopnet (vellumsource) to spawn the geometry
  5. For Each Primitive to Point Deform regarding to the "birthid"

image.thumb.png.a0a6bb1611d6ad3b98e0bf437a94b34b.png

Maybe i need to find something to rest the first geo after the dopnet and bring it back with an attribute name.

@Yader your approach with the assemble node is maybe the solution. But i'm to young in the game to find wich attribute tricks will made the game.

Thanks for all your sharing files. Here is mine : Object_Glue.hipObject_Glue.hip

Regards.

Edited by minuit