Asset Management

Hi Guys,

after been at the London Roadshow and after the C.o.r.e. Demo about The Wild.. I wanted to know more about the asset management for a pipeline... I saw that from the help browser they loaded the "pose library" with clips.. poses.. and OTL... could anyone give me some guidelines on how to structure such OTL management so that a small "team" of 3 people can use such browsing mode to have correct OTL... and see if ther's new versions... well... more simply.. is there anywhere something like what i saw from C.o.r.e. guys? :D

thanks a lot in advance.

cheers

the animation loader/saver I showed was done in java and was a separate app not in the browser. it was "our" version of a pose library (it did pose an cycle).

I did show a still of our shot based asset managment system, which we ran out of the built in browser in houdini. it was a mix mash of things but still largely java and python (jpython, hscript commands) someone who coded could correct me if they ever read this but it work.

technically it wouldn't be that 'hard' to build a basic asset management system for otls. houdini poses a few quirks that you have to wrangle with in order to place some structure around the very flexible shell sesi has provided. small simple things can become a bit fundled. take texture strings for example, there isn't an easy way to find all the possible texture strings in the package. if you choose to use a method where the 'selected' node is the current one to work with, well again it isn't that easy. in houdini you can have a lot of selected nodes and not some of them would be necessarily current.

you also have to consider what level of hda making you are going to take into account, object , sop etc. it makes the finding of nodes a bit easier, but it also makes it a bit more crucial if you want to update a nested hda.

then there is the entire "what is the currency" of your hda, meaning does your system need to have anything fancier than 'the latest is the greatest' or not.

i'll stop now before you guys start expecting me to make one ;)

-k

[...]

i'll stop now before you guys start expecting me to make one ;)

-k

ahahaha I'm already expecting it :P .... so stop your lunch break and post it here:D

joking... btw.. i was just wondering a better way to menage the HDA I'll make and have a bit of organization with 'em... right now I'm just planning to save such OTL in a SAN share.. and add such path to the Jump.pref file for easier and faster search. I surely wont have that -many- HDA anyways... but since I'm exploring the position of TD and supervisor here... I'm also trying to make the job easier for me.. and my coworker.. what I saw from you at London was quite what I'd like to have here... I'll give a try maybe at python... sadly, first thing I dont have now is time... we're late in deadline... and this HDA management will be done mostly for sure for next projects.

anyway.. thanks for your guidelines :)

... ok now stop reading this.. go back making the manager :D

cheers

you can do alot within Houdini alone...

a simple hscript can

- 'publish' your OTL to a place in your file system

- 'version' it ( see > help otversion )

- search for paths and change them, like texture paths as thekenny mentioned...

it IS possible to develop a simple Asset Management system with not much more than the tools provided with houdini and a bit of HTML knowledge (to make a nice web front end)

also by using environment variables and smart use of OPlibraries etc