Vellum Edge Fracture Cluster [SOLVED]

How would one go about clustering pieces of cloth together after using the Edge Fracture SOP to cut the cloth geometry apart?

Is there a method similar to how the RBD Cluster SOP works?

After using the Edge Fracture, I get lots of individual triangular sections of cloth, which look ok but would be nicer if I could cluster a bunch of them together to create more irregular patterns of cloth. What would be a useful method to create this?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently at work, but will post any ideas I come up with later in the day.

Edited by GlennimusPrime

while this is not clustering, it does give you the option of randomizing with seed, and vary it rather than being stuck with whatever SESI gives you.

If you vary high enough, effectively they're merged.

Left is boring default, right is my own hda. Both have Initial pieces set at 10.

(video doesn't show Variance, but it's in the HDA)

Edgefrac.jpg

Edited by Noobini

Hi Noobini, thanks for this! It gives me different sections which is nice, but I was hoping for a more rounded, or less stripped look if that makes sense?

This has less uniform triangles, but I'm looking for less of the longer strips.

My only thoughts on this so far is to use the Edge Fracture SOP to create lots of smaller triangulated pieces, then somehow use an overall voronoi pattern, then group and fuse all smaller triangle pieces that are located inside each voronoi fracture piece - I'm only 1 year into learnign Houdini so I'm not 100% sure how I'd go about this, but I will post back if I find a solution.

If anyone else has any ideas, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks,

- Glenn

Screen Shot 07-01-20 at 08.26 PM.PNG

i don't think you should use edgefrac on a non-planar object tho...rbdmatfracture ?

i mean yes you can use it on a sphere, as in cut up a balloon, but the results won't have "solid chunks".

Edited by Noobini

I should have mentioned I'm going for a tearing fabric look, falling off a statue:

https://i.imgur.com/FsowZvp.mp4

Also, I have just realised I can use the Voronoi Fracture SOP with 'Create Interior Surfaces' turned off to create the and then RBD Cluster SOP afterward to combine the smaller sections together.
I quite like the sharp triangles created by the Edge Fracture SOP though. I couldn't get the RBD Cluster SOP to work on that method.

Clustering.hipnc