Hello,

I'd like to share a shortfilm that I've been working on for the last few months. It is set up and rendered entirely in Houdini; whilst some 3d models are drawn in other bits of software, the majority is procedurally drawn and the outliers also tend to undergo transformations. Strictly no 2d effects, everything is simulated spatially within the scenes (this is part of an ongoing practice ethos of trying to understand all geometry in 3d and render a fully composited shot). I am very excited to continue to develop and unpack a lot of the systems that have been built for this project. It would be great to get some feedback, thoughts and criticisms from this community. I hope you enjoy. :)

LINK: https://vimeo.com/446918887

Cheers,

Egmontas

Description: Nekiya is a short film that constructs a spirit realm as a reflection on the naive hypothesis for the existence of ghosts. Who has seen the spirits? Neither I, nor you. But when the invisible weighs upon your chest, the spirits are reaching through. Let the spirits emerge and let Spookiness be true. As Spookiness has an overwhelming desire to meet Soba, she anxiously struggles to determine her place in this delicate world full of occurrences at the edge of her perception and control. Soba begins to doubt the verity of not only her constructed memories, her tears, but the seemingly indeterminate nature of her body itself. Spirits emerge as three-dimensional entities with embedded spatial, material and behavioural data that characterises their potential and inherent constructional capacity within what we can now determine as our multiple realities. These spirits are a consequence of procedural logics that inform both simulation and translation in a digitally pliable universe. Nekiya is the hypothesis of a haunted space of spectrality; it is an episode in the search for a practice of digital poetics.

nekiya_title_T06.png

SCENE_soba_CAM09_1_edit.png

Thanks! Pretty much all is raw render, I composited in After Effects but have done almost no post-production, was just about sequencing the shots. Lighting and materials repeat themselves through the scenes, I think that is how the 'character' is maintained? Will keep going!